Welcome to my blog!


I am a lefty. I write vertically, cannot use can-openers and was recently foiled by a right handed ladle (I will have my vengeance...) but more than this, I generally seem to approach life from a different angle. I appreciate that this may have nothing to do with being a lefty and may just be my own dysfunctionallity, but after earning the nickname 'Lefty-Flip' after a frustrating game of Guitar Hero, it seemed an appropriate title for this blog.

Thursday 8 September 2011

But it really was my idea first...

I read a lovely post yesterday over on Nicola Morgan's blog where Jonathan Pinnock shared his frustrations at being piqued to the post with a similar idea for a book - It tugged at my heartstrings because there is nothing quite as frustrating as having a brilliant idea,and finding out that someone else already had it. and what's more, they've already published it.
At times like these I revert to a three year old, throw my toys out the pram and wail 'but I thought of that first!!!!'

Sure I did.

And I'm betting another fifty people are thinking the same and are throwing the same tantrum I am!

Or maybe they are better behaved than me in public.

At other times it's just a case of wishing you'd thought of of first - those times you stumble upon a book so brilliant you feel suddenly inspired to go out and write something just like it... oh wait... you can't... It's been done.

So here's a handful of books that have got my eyes glowing green with envy and a huff of a tantrum brewing...

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne
Room - Emma Donoghue
Florence & Giles - John Harding
It - Stephen King
Coraline - Neil Gaiman
A Series Of Unfortunate Events - Lemony Snicket

All fantastic books.

But I do wish I could steal them for my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All sensible comments welcome! Spam will be fried and eaten.