Welcome to my blog!


I am a lefty. I write vertically, cannot use can-openers and was recently foiled by a right handed ladle (I will have my vengeance...) but more than this, I generally seem to approach life from a different angle. I appreciate that this may have nothing to do with being a lefty and may just be my own dysfunctionallity, but after earning the nickname 'Lefty-Flip' after a frustrating game of Guitar Hero, it seemed an appropriate title for this blog.

Monday 5 March 2012

Friday on a Monday

I posted this on Friday, a day when the internet was not my friend! Fingers crossed I have better luck today...

***********************************

Last Sunday I finally unearthed the computer from beneath a mountain of boxes, and managed to clear a tiny corner of the room fit for writing. And boy did I write! Even Dancing on Ice had to wait so determined was I to finish that blasted chapter!

It had been three weeks since I moved, and three weeks since I’d written, funny how typing away for half an hour made me feel more at home than three weeks worth of cleaning and decorating. Even amid a fortress of boxes I felt more settled than I have all month!
So not surprisingly I managed a fairly epic writing spree, and spruced up was previously a fairly lack-lustre chapter.
Only now I have created more problems for myself. 
As is often the case when I take a break and come back to a piece, I notice glaring mistakes and huge leaps in logic that I swear were not there before!
Right now I have a rather important sub-plot that I am aware is full of holes. I think, think I have now patched them up. In my head that is – what I need to do now is go back several chapter and weave it back in.
Question is, do I go back and do that now, or push on with this draft and leave the weaving to the next re-write? Part of me can’t face going back to chapter nine when I really want to crack on and move forward! The other part of me now resents working on what is now a pretty duff draft!

What’s a girl to do in troubled times as these?  Well I only have one answer.

Post-it notes.

Blessed, blessed post-it notes. I shall go back and insert my various notes and new scenes in glorious multi-coloured sticker-dom leaving me free to carry on as before and tackle the re-write another day!

All hail the post-it note, saviour of the scatterbrained writer!


Have a good weekend folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All sensible comments welcome! Spam will be fried and eaten.